A Night With Nick Malgieri

by Beth on February 21, 2011

This past Saturday night I had a very fun evening with Baltimore’s Food Bloggers and cookbook author Nick Malgieri.

signing

Nick was in town to discuss his latest cookbook Bake!, which is a beautiful book that shows in step by step photos how to master 30 key baking techniques, from puff pastry to bread baking. The book is designed to make complicated baking techniques accessible to at home bakers by breaking them into simple step by step instructions.

nick talks food

In addition to discussing Bake!, Nick also gave us a bit of commentary on being a professional pastry chef and cookbook author in the era of “foodies” and Food TV. With 9 cookbooks under his belt, Nick has a lot of experience, and it was interesting to hear an insiders perspective on the current trends in the food industry. Nick also brought two desserts to share with the group–a dense chocolate cake and some delicious biscotti that I can’t wait to try on this blog!

the spread

Being a food blogger event, there was of course a HUGE spread of food! We each brought a favorite dish and no one left the evening hungry. Everything was delicious! Wendi of Bon Appetit Hon brought one of my favorite sweets of the night–darling little puff pastry hearts with icing. So simple, but wonderful!

What a great way to spend a Saturday night! Thanks to Dara of Dining Dish for organizing the event and including me!

{ 6 comments } | Print This Post Print This Post | Email This Post Email This Post |

Nick February 21, 2011 at 7:55 am

Hi Beth, Thanks for the great post!

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon February 21, 2011 at 9:46 am

Beth, so glad I decided to bring the puffy hearts. It was a fantastic night.

Elizabeth February 21, 2011 at 9:52 am

I agree about the heart cookies! So glad we all got together for this. And so so glad I have you when the going gets tough Beth.

Jen @ My Morning Chocolate February 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Sounds like fun! I’ll have to check out that cookbook. I like the idea of mastering basic techniques that can help with a lot of recipes.

Melinda February 22, 2011 at 7:42 am

That is very cool. Looks like a fun evening.

Are you enjoying this darn snow. I would not mind but it eliminated one of my 6 days here in the States. Plus I am stuck at home most of the day because I was drivingn one of my parents SUVs and they need them both for work today. At least my sister is snowed in with me.

Jessica @ bake me away! February 23, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’ve heard a lot about him and Bake! from another blogger. I need to check out that book! That’s awesome that you got to go to this and meet him.