Philadelphia Style Vanilla Ice Cream

by Beth on July 8, 2011

This is the story of our perfect Fourth of July dessert.

Or rather, it’s almost a non-story. Shockingly, I didn’t put a ton of time or energy into planning every single meal for the Fourth weekend beforehand. Yeah, I’m usually sort of a planner. But since we had 11 house guests at the beach this past weekend (plus the normal 6 of us!) and everyone was instructed to bring what they wanted to eat, every meal was sort of an ad-hoc experiment. Meat was seasoned and put on the grill, followed by an assortment of veggies. It was wonderful, delicious, and relaxing. I brought a few dessert-like things to the beach for munching, including a tray of whole wheat brownies and a (coming soon) batch of chocolate chip cookies. Along with smores, these were just enough dessert for the first half of the weekend.

The only two things we knew we were absolutely cooking this weekend were a ridiculously huge pork loin and cupcakes. We bought the pork loin at BJs the weekend before, and the cupcakes…well, I fell in love with some ridiculously cute festive liners in the King Arthur catalogue back in May, so I HAD TO make cupcakes.

We had also taken our often neglected ice cream maker to the beach, mostly in the hope that it would see a bit more love down there than it saw at home. Add these two ingredients together–cupcakes + ice cream, and throw in some fresh berries (straw and blue) for some extra fun, and you’ve got a perfect summertime dessert! The cupcakes were vanilla pound cake with red, white and blue sprinkles, and the ice cream was one of our new favorites, a creamy Philadelphia Style. Perfection.

And in case you’re wondering about all those house guests, no, the Broadkill Beach Club is not a mansion. We had some portable bedrooms, aka tents, that folks slept in!

Philadelphia Style Vanilla Ice Cream
Adapted from David Lebovitz’s Perfect Scoop

I cannot lie, I made the cupcakes, Noel made the ice cream. And since he wasn’t really fond of the idea of standing over a hot stove to make a custard on an already hot day, he went Philadelphia Style. We may never go back!

Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk or half-and-half
¾ cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
¾ tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Pour 1 cup of the cream into a medium saucepan and add the sugar. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the saucepan and add the pod to the pot. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
Remove from heat and add the remaining cream, the half-and-half, and the vanilla extract.

Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, for at least eight hours or overnight.

When ready to churn, remove the vanilla pod (reserve the bean for another use), then freeze in your ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

{ 15 comments } | Print This Post Print This Post | Email This Post Email This Post |

Banana Chocolate and Cinnamon Chip Muffins
July 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
July 13, 2012 at 6:27 am
Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon July 8, 2011 at 8:18 am

Beth, how does the texture of this compare to traditional custard based ice cream?

Beth July 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

Wendi, the Philly style was super creamy and rich. No one complained about a lack of eggs :-)

Biz July 8, 2011 at 11:07 am

Wow, that looks amazing B! You just reminded me that I need to bring up my icecream maker from the basement this weekend!

Happy Friday!

Noel July 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Also – we used three cups of heavy cream….. To me, the absence of eggs and the use of heavy cream (the recipe says 3C cream OR 2C cream + 1C milk) gave this a creamy but light texture. Very smooth, but not all that heavy. I think the eggs would have also put it over the top.

Props should also go to Belton – who prepared the berries. The strawberries were simply macerated – cut up and sprinkled with sugar. He smashed the blueberries, though, and cooked them with some sugar and brandy.

Maris (In Good Taste) July 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

As an ice cream fanatic I can tell you that looks fabulous!

caite@ a lovely shore breeze July 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm

when I make ice cream, I always make Phiily style. eggs just seem over the top to me and as you said, it is plenty rich enough!

TheBookGirl July 9, 2011 at 5:24 pm

What a lovely red, white and blue dessert :)

I love creamy ice creams and my daughter’s favorite is vanilla so I’m sure this would be a winner around here!

michelle July 10, 2011 at 12:33 am

Oh, my I would have loved to have been at this festive celebration. Thanks for sharing this perfect summer time treat-recipe.

Beth F July 10, 2011 at 6:37 am

How easy is that ice cream????????? Now I need to try it. I have the ice cream container frozen and ready to go. Hummmm — vanilla blueberry??

Uniflame July 10, 2011 at 7:01 am

I just bought an ice cream maker and I was looking for a vanilla ice cream recipe without egg. So this might be perfect! That is.. if I get it translated to European measurements and find out what kind of cream I need to use ;) Thanks for sharing!

Joy Weese Moll July 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

That looks like the yummiest dessert. So pretty and festive for 4th of July, too!

Kristen (swanky dietitian) July 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm

This looks amazing!
You know I have never made ice cream. I need to after seeing this post!

Angie August 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm

This is a great recipe, I prepare it just as the instructions were given and believe me it is super creamy and super delicious, my husband was very excited about it, now I just can’t stop preparing it.